Sunday, August 24, 2008

All Good Things Must Come To An End

It is with mixed emotions that I write this entry. I began this blog at the beginning of the summer and it amazing to me that so many weeks have passed since then. When I think back on the numerous adventures that I(we) have been on, it is hard to think that the summer fun has to come to an end. I think there is a quote that says something like this: "When one door closes, another one opens". So...although the summer door has closed, the next door has opened and I'm sure that what lies ahead will be just as wonderful as what we have already experienced.

So...I decided that each one of the kids should share what they enjoyed about their summer. Let's just say that it was like pulling teeth to get them to agree to write a few sentences.

Mason -
This summer has been one to remember. One of my favorite activities was Scout Camp. It was a chance to get away from the busy city and enter extreme mosquito territory. I earned 15 more merit badges and swatted away about 10,000 mosquitoes; literally. It was also nice to get away from the constant fighting of my two younger siblings.
Another nice, but not so nice thing about summer was summer gym. It ended up to count for the pe credit, but it was not fun. We ran and ran and ran most of the days. We ran the mile 5 times, did the pace test 3 times, and did 3 fitness circuits. The rounds of lightening kept the adreneline going. The best part about it was lunch! That's all for now.

Evan-
I got to ride Frontrunner a few times. It was fun and long. Last Friday we had lunch with my Aunt Lindsey at her work, and then my Dad, and Mason and me went to have pizza at the Gateway. It was okay. Then we saw the movie Dark Knight. I would say that Batman was cool. It was a good movie. I like the Joker. I was sad when it ended, because it could have gone longer. Two Face was scary at first, but then he died. Bummer. I really liked Batman's motorcycle.
At Scout Camp I earned 3 pins. They were my first pins. I also liked going swimming so much this summer. I learned how to jump off the diving board. It has been a really fun time.

Avery-
A short story by Avery: Once upon a time, there was a Princess named Avery. And she had fun this summer. She got to go camping, and swimming and have sleepovers and eat frozen yogurt and go shopping and find pets that were her friends like a squirrel and a butterfly(while camping) and eat lunch with Aunt Lindsey and she played with Madi and got to go to some movies and have a pedicure and.....the list could go on. What a lucky princess!

Something that Avery failed to mention in her story was that she lost her front teeth. It was quite the ordeal. We were having hamburgers last Sunday and she bit into hers and she could tell that something was different. After several tries at pulling the first one out, she gave in and let me have a go at it. Once I could her to put her hand down, it came out quite easily. What we discovered next was that the other tooth was just as loose. She was determined to do that one herself. The cry of triumph was heard all over the house when she was successful. She yelled,
"I did it" and was crying either because she was elated that she got it out, or because she looked in the mirror and discovered the large hole that now there. It was very funny!

The majority of the week was spent getting ready for school to start. We had one last hoorah of fun this weekend. The boys had their outing to the Gateway where they saw a movie, ate at the California Pizza Kitchen, and rode Front runner. The girls also saw a movie, ate dinner at Robintinos, had a sleepover, and had pedicures. All in all, it was a wonderful way to wrap up the summer. Tomorrow morning is the first day of school and I think everyone is excited to start a new school year. Have a great week doing whatever you have planned. Hopefully there won't be a need for any more hurrication days-right Dad? We send our love to all of you!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I really, really love Avery's story.

Here's to hoping another door opens really soon............